Testing a new silhouette: Grainline's Alder Shirtdress
A while ago Grainline Studio released the Alder shirtdress. Even though I'm all about emphasizing my waist, I wanted to try this silhouette. We have a special blog post, since my boyfriend was kind enough to take pictures (It was late and I didn't want to get the tripod out...) He insisted on my posing in between the tomatoes and peppers on the famous terrace. So I did :-) Pictures are taken after wearing this dress all day, and it's still fairly wrinkle free, which is pretty awesome in my book! This is Alder as made by Grainline Studio. I opted for view B, since the gathered skirt part provides more room around the hips and I need that extra room!
- fabric: denim, 3% lycra, bought at Pauli, Leuven
- notions: buttons from stash
- thread: Amann Mettler
- pattern: Grainline Studio - Alder, view B
- size: 10 with adjustments
Measurements & SizeMy bust is 38", so I knew that the finished version in size 10 would normally fit me. My waist is 28" which put me in a size 6. My hips are 44", so they would need a size 16. However, since this dress is intended to fit at the bust and hang loose at waist and hips, I knew that a size 10 would be perfect. To be sure, I made a muslin for the top part of the dress.
- a 4 cm wedge out of the length from the bodice back narrowing to 0 at the sideseam
- an 8 cm wedge from the bodice back, going from 8 at the waist to 0 at the yoke
- added pockets to the sideseam